[Spambayes] training on Linux

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 17:47:04 EST 2017

> I'm having sudden second thoughts about how I should be dealing with
> mails that get qualified incorrectly and dropped into the wrong mailbox.
>
> I've operated for years on the understanding that if, e.g., a mail gets
> dropped in spam (or unsure) that SHOULD have been sent to my inbox,
> the fix is to manually move it from the spam (or unsure) box into my
> inbox. I do this in mutt by selecting the misqualified mail and saving
> it to the desired box (which removes it from where it had been put).
>
> but I've been reading stuff on the spambayes web site and don't find
> any reference to doing it that way. In fact most of the discussion seems
> to be how to do it in outlook or other non-Linux system.

I no longer use SpamBayes for my personal mail, but still (from
time-to-time) update the training database on mail.python.org. For
that, I use the train-to-exhaustion tool (contrib/tte.py in the
SpamBayes repo). You said nothing about how asymmetric your ham and
spam databases are, or how big either one is, so I'm not sure what
properties your current database has. In general, I do try to keep
them reasonably small and current.

I just got a new computer and can't currently login to
mail.python.org, but when I do, I have a further shell script wrapper
around tte.py I can send your way, and refresh my brain about the
steps necessary to update things.

Skip