[Speed] [pypy-dev] Moving the project forward

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 12:22:31 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> Noah is one person, yes you should help
>
> On Aug 31, 2011, at 3:43 AM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai at in-nomine.org> wrote:
>
>> -On [20110831 02:57], Noah Kantrowitz (noah at coderanger.net) wrote:
>>> Yahr, I be here. I would really like to see this done under a config management system (I prefer Chef and thats been the plan so far unless there are heavy objections). In general no one should ever be changing things on any PSF server by hand if at all possible in the interests of disaster recovery, reproducibility, and some modicum of enforced documentation (even if that doc is just a Chef recipe).
>>
>> If Noah's going to pull this, being an Opscode guy, does it make sense for
>> me to help out. I mean, he's the Chef guru here and I doubt there's little I
>> can contribute then?

Backing Jesse up on this one: it's generally nice to have at least two
people able to do things so that one person going on holidays (or
whatever) doesn't prevent progress.

speed.python.org is really going to need its own supporting community
to fulfil its potential, and the existing CPython and PyPy devs
already have pretty full plates, so relying on us to make it happen
won't work so well. Getting started is going to be a little rocky,
since decision making responsibilities aren't at all clear and there
will need to be a bit of "self-appointment" involved.

So I'll ask a (deceptively) simple question: who's going to set up a
BitBucket project to use as the issue tracker for speed.python.org (at
least initially), populate it with information about the current plans
for the speed.python.org site and then announce that to this list?

Whoever does this will be volunteering themselves for a bit of work in
helping to coordinate things, especially in granting other people
access to the project and turning the summary in Jesse's email into a
list of initial tasks, but they'll also be playing a key part in
helping to build a useful community resource.

But the field's wide open as to who that person will be - all it
really takes at this point is a BitBucket account and a willingness to
say "I can do this!" :)

Cheers,
Nick.