[Speed] Ideas for speed.python.org

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 17:14:06 CEST 2011

Forgot to send to the list

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Da_Blitz <pypy at pocketnix.org> wrote:
> production). 5GB for /tmp and the remaining space apart from 20GB
> allocated to /home

pypy uses /tmp to put its source files so I don't know if 5gb is enough.

> is this just a benchmarking server, or a server people can also log
> into and use as a generic build machine? i always assumed that one
> socket would be used to benchmarking and the other socket would be
> given over to normal users who needed a machine with a bit more speed

Why not use both sockets for benchmarking? Either put 2 interpreters
on each socket (cpython+jython in one and pypy+ironpython in the
other) or use one of the sockets to run the benchmarks on
windows/freebsd. I think more granularity in the benchmarks is
interesting to find regressions, and the performance of interpreters
in different oses might be very different also (ironpython running on
.net, different jvm etc).

Besides this two points I think everything looks ok to me (but I don't
know much about sysadmin). Some people have a lot of scary stories
about RAID5, but I think this is mostly a problem with old RAID
controllers.

--
Leonardo Santagada

--