[Speed] Cython's view on a common benchmark suite (was: Re: Buildbot Status)

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 12:09:31 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Brett Cannon, 01.02.2012 18:25:
>> to prevent this from either ending up in a dead-end because of this, we
>> need to first decide where the canonical set of Python VM benchmarks are
>> going to live. I say hg.python.org/benchmarks for two reasons. One is that
>> Antoine has already done work there to port some of the benchmarks so there
>> is at least some there that are ready to be  run under Python 3 (and the
>> tooling is in place to create separate Python 2 and Python 3 benchmark
>> suites). Two, this can be a test of having the various VM contributors work
>> out of hg.python.org if we are ever going to break the stdlib out for
>> shared development. At worst we can simply take the changes made at
>> pypy/benchmarks that apply to just the unladen benchmarks that exists, and
>> at best merge the two sets (manually) into one benchmark suite so PyPy
>> doesn't lose anything for Python 2 measurements that they have written and
>> CPython doesn't lose any of its Python 3 benchmarks that it has created.
>>
>> How does that sound?
>
> +1
>
> FWIW, Cython currently uses both benchmark suites, that of PyPy (in Py2.7)
> and that of hg.python.org (in Py2.7 and 3.3), but without codespeed
> integration and also without a dedicated server for benchmark runs. So the
> results are unfortunately not accurate enough to spot minor changes even
> over time.
>
> https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/view/bench/
>
> We would like to join in on speed.python.org, once it's clear how the
> benchmarks will be run and how the data uploads work and all that. It
> already proved a bit tricky to get Cython integrated with the benchmark
> runner on our side, and I'm planning to rewrite that integration at some
> point, but it should already be doable to get "something" to work now.

Can you come up with a script that does "cython <a python program>"?
that would simplify a lot

> I should also note that we don't currently support the whole benchmark
> suite, so there must be a way to record individual benchmark results even
> in the face of failures in other benchmarks. Basically, speed.python.org
> would be useless for us if a failure in a single benchmark left us without
> any performance data at all, because it will still take us some time to get
> to 100% compliance and we would like to know if anything on that road has a
> performance impact. Currently, we apply a short patch that adds a
> try-except to the benchmark runner's main loop before starting the
> measurements, because otherwise it would just bail out completely on a
> single failure. Oh, and we also patch the benchmarks to remove references
> to __file__ because of CPython issue 13429, although we may be able to work
> around that at some point, specifically when doing on-the-fly compilation
> during imports.

I think it's fine to mark certain benchmarks not to be runnable under
certain platforms. For example it's not like jython will run twisted
stuff.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue13429
>
> Also note that benchmarks that only test C implemented stdlib modules (re,
> pickle, json) are useless for Cython because they would only end up timing
> the exact same code as for plain CPython.
>
> Another test that is useless for us is the "mako" benchmark, because most
> of what it does is to run generated code. There is currently no way for
> Cython to hook into that, so we're out of the game here.

Well, if you want cython to be considered python I think this is a
pretty crucial feature no?

> We also don't care about program startup tests, obviously, because we know
> that Cython's compiler overhead plus an optimising gcc run will render them
> meaningless anyway. I like the fact that there's still an old hg_startup
> timing result lingering around from the time before I disabled that test,
> telling us that Cython runs it 99.68% slower than CPython. Got to beat
> that. 8-)

That's probably okish.