[Speed] merging PyPy and Python benchmark suite

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 19:14:28 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com>wrote:

>> if

>> > OK. Maciej has always told me that a problem with the Unladen
>> benchmarks was
>> > that some of them had artificial loop unrolling, etc., so I had assumed
>> you
>> > had simply fixed those instances instead of creating entirely new
>> > benchmarks.
>>
>> No we did not use those benchmarks. Those were mostly completely
>> artificial microbenchmarks (call, call_method etc.). We decided we're
>> not really that interested in microbenchmarks.

>> > I know that directory wasn't changed, but I also noticed that some
>> > benchmarks had the same name, which is why I thought they were forked
>> > versions of the same-named Unladen benchmarks.
>>
>> Not if they're in own/ directory.
>>

> OK, good to know. I realized I can't copy code wholesale from PyPy's
> benchmark suite as I don't know the code's history and thus if the
> contributor signed Python's contributor agreement. Can the people who are
> familiar with the code help move benchmarks over where the copyright isn't
> in question?
>
> I can at least try to improve the Python 3 situation by doing things like
> pulling in Vinay's py3k port of Django, etc. to fill in gaps. I will also
> try to get the benchmarks to work with a Python 2.7 control and a Python 3
> "experimental" target for comparing performance since that's what I need
> (or at least be able to run the benchmarks on their own and writing out the
> results for later comparison).
>
> Anything else that should be worked on?

The important thing is that once a benchmark is in the repo it can *never*
change including all the versions of dependencies, only Python can vary,
otherwise you kill the ability to actually do science with the numbers.

So, e.g., I wouldn't pull in Vijnay's fork, since that's going to be
utterly obsolete in a few weeks probably, I'd wait to have django on py3k
for that work to all be merged into django itself.

Alex