[Speed] Disable hash randomization to get reliable benchmarks

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 13:21:10 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 18:28:32 +0200
> Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> taking the minimum is a terrible idea anyway, none of the statistical
>> discussion makes sense if you do that
>
> The minimum is a reasonable metric for quick throwaway benchmarks as
> timeit is designed for, as it has a better hope of alleviating the
> impact of system load (as such throwaway benchmarks are often run on
> the developer's workstation).
>
> For a persistent benchmarks suite, where we can afford longer
> benchmark runtimes and are able to keep system noise to a minimum, we
> might prefer another metric.
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

No, it's not Antoine. Minimum is not better than one random measurment.

We had this discussion before, but you guys are happily dismissing all
the papers written on the subject. It *does* get rid of random system
stuff, but it *also* does get rid of all the effects related to
gc/malloc/caches and infinite details that are not working in the same
predictable fashion.