[Speed] Should we change what benchmarks we have?

Kevin Modzelewski kmod at dropbox.com
Thu Feb 11 17:36:44 EST 2016

We on the Pyston team have created some new benchmarks which I can
recommend using; I wouldn't call them "macrobenchmarks" since they don't
test entire applications, but we've found them to be better than the
existing benchmarks, which tend to be quite microbenchmarky.  For example,
our django-templating benchmark actually exercises the django templating
system, as opposed to bm_django.py which just tests unicode concatenation.
You can find them here
https://github.com/dropbox/pyston-perf/tree/master/benchmarking/benchmark_suite
 The current ones we look at are django_template3_10x,
sqlalchemy_imperative2_10x, and pyxl_bench_10x.