[Speed] Should we change what benchmarks we have?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Feb 14 11:57:33 EST 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016, 07:49 Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 15:48:01 +0100
> Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I presume you looked at the pypy benchmark suite, which contains a
> > large collection of library-based benchmarks.
>
> Not in a long time, I admit...

So it sounds like:

* we should drop regex_v8, telco, and spectral_norm
*Having an explanation as to what a benchmark is meant to exercise wouldn't
go amiss
* Pyston and PyPy have potential benchmarks to steal (although they need to
work with at least Python 3.5 to be considered)

Anyone want the satisfaction of deprecating those benchmarks? How about
writing a README file for what each of the benchmarks are for (which will
become the README for the future GitHub repo)? And do we want the Pyston
and PyPy folks to nominate benchmarks they think we really should add (with
a wild hope of finally having a single suite that everyone at least starts
from), or should some cpython devs look s at what PyPy and Pyston have and
raid their benchmarks?

Brett