[Speed] Update Django from 1.11 to 2.0? What about Python 2.7 and PyPy2?

INADA Naoki songofacandy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 10:42:29 EST 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 12:17 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 16:09:16 +0100
> Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I regularly update requirements of the performance benchmark suite.
>> Django 2.0 is now proposed, but it's incompatible with Python 2.7 and
>> PyPy2.
>>
>> * Is it ok to skip the django_template benchmark on Python 2.7 and PyPy2?
>> * Should we add a different benchmark?
>
> How do you plan to make numbers comparable if you change the Django
> version for a given benchmark?  The only solution IMHO is to add a
> different benchmark.

We already compare different libraries.  For example, pickle is very different
between Python 2.7 and 3.6.
Even though it's not good for comparing interpreter performance, it's good
for people comparing Python 2 and 3.

If Django 2.0 on Python 3.7 is much faster than Django 1.11 on Python 2.7,
it's nice carrot for people moving forward.

> Perhaps you should also probably wait for a bugfix release or two :-)

I agree.

INADA Naoki  <songofacandy at gmail.com>