[stdlib-sig] [Python-3000] Types and classes

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Apr 3 13:21:22 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/2008, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>  > On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> wrote:
>  > > Also, could the types module be renamed "builtin_classes" or
>  > >  "core_classes" or something like that? It was always a weird name
>  > >  because it wasn't if it contained all of the types in a Python
>  > >  distribution. Just a set of core-to-the-implementation ones.
>  >
>  > That's up to the stdlib reorg committee; my position has been for a
>  > long time that there shouldn't be a types module at all.
>
>  *If* it's to be renamed (which I have no strong opinion on) would
>  making it sys.classes (or sys.types) be plausible? With the "sys =
>  core" connotation, I find this better than an underscored name.

Not without taking a proper look at the sys module and how it should
potentially be changed. It has become too much of a dumping ground for
stuff in my opinion. There could definitely stand to be more of a
separation between interpreter info and the current platform. Or even
information versus changing what the interpreter can do.

But I am about to propose the removal of the 'types' module anyway, so
I am not feeling very invested in this. =)

-Brett