[stdlib-sig] Proposal: new "interpreter" module

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Apr 6 17:56:43 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Benjamin Peterson
<musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Data and functions that are available in all Python implementations and
> deal
>    with the general running of a Python VM.
>
>    - argv
>    - byteorder
>    - builtin_module_names, path, and modules

I still think builtin_module_names should be moved. There is no
guarantee other VMs have a concept of a built-in module.

>     - copyright, hexversion, version, and version_info
>    - displayhook, __displayhook__
>    - excepthook, __excepthook__, exc_info, and exc_clear
>    - exec_prefix and prefix
>    - executable
>    - exit
>    - flags, py3kwarning, dont_write_bytecode, and warn_options
>     - getfilesystemencoding
>    - get/setprofile
>    - get/settrace
>    - getwindowsversion

It seems silly to have Windows-specific stuff like this in the sys
module, but I don't know where else they should go.

>    - maxint and maxunicode
>    - platform
>    - ps1 and ps2
>    - stdin, stderr, stdout, __stdin__, __stderr__, __stdout__
>     - tracebacklimit
>

> 2. Data and functions that affect the CPython interpreter.
>
>    - get/setrecursionlimit
>    - get/setcheckinterval
>    - _getframe and _current_frame
>    - getrefcount
>    - get/setdlopenflags
>     - settscdumps
>    - api_version
>    - winver
>    - dllhandle
>    - float_info
>    - _compact_freelists
>    - _clear_type_cache
>    - subversion

There is some stuff missing from these lists, e.g., meta_path,
path_importer_cache, path_hooks, call_tracing, etc. You should do a
dir() in sys and fill in the missing attributes into the list.

It's looking good, though!

-Brett