[stdlib-sig] Making the reorg work

Benjamin Peterson musiccomposition at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 03:26:58 CEST 2008

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>  For 2.6, the modules should be renamed. The old names should be
>  maintained with stub modules that are kept in some directory, such as
>  lib-old. This separate directory is needed since some modules are only
>  changing their case and that will wreak havoc on case-insensitive file
>  systems. There should also be a Python 3.0 warning about the named
>  deprecation.
So, the following the workflow?
1. svn mv Lib/BadOldName.py Lib/badoldname.py (in trunk)
2. Fix imports in the stdlib and update the docs.
3. Commit and merge into 3.0.
4. (back in trunk) make a file that does a start import (modules with
__all__ will require some more work) in lib-old and gives a py3k
warning
5. Block that revision

>  While we wait for Guido to pronounce on the PEP (probably late next
>  week) we can start discussing this and getting stuff lined up. I
>  personally don't know how much time I will have for this (dealing with
>  a relationship ending and having to move because of it) so any and all
>  help I can get for this will be appreciated.
Your word is my command. :)

--
Cheers,
Benjamin Peterson