[stdlib-sig] Suggested tweaks to http and xmlrpc packages

Alexandre Vassalotti alexandre at peadrop.com
Mon Feb 4 22:03:11 CET 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 2:38 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> So the suggestions now are:
>
> httplib ->http.client
> http.server proposal stays.
>
> xmlrpclib -> xmlrpc.client
> xmlrpc.server proposal stays.

`xmlrpclib` also contains (un)marshaling tools, so it's not strictly a
client library. Anyway, I like the "client" subpackage name more than
"tools."

> There is also the issue of the cookie-related modules. Ignoring
> singular vs. plural, we have Cookie and cookielib. Having looked at
> them I don't think they can be reasonably merged into a single module
> with their naming the way they are. And on the web-sig they said that
> Cookie is still widely used. So http.cookie(s) might not be able to
> happen without  reworking cookielib to gain the abilities Cookie has
> in some reasonable fashion.

Well, I never used either cookie modules, so I can't really comment
about them. However, I found by reading through the documentation and
the code that both modules have a fairly different purpose.
`cookielib` is used for collecting cookies on the client-side (often
with urllib2), while `Cookie` is used to generate cookie on the
server-side.

-- Alexandre