[stdlib-sig] Any ideas on how to handle urllib, urllib2, and urlparse?

Facundo Batista facundobatista at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 16:45:36 CET 2008

2008/2/20, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org>:

>  seems somewhat silly, but the best I can think of right now. I could
>  ask the web-sig if they think we could try to get rid of either urllib
>  or urllib2, but I suspect they will say no.

OTOH, I think that having a module called urllib, and other called
urllib2 is a result of the evolution and not the best configuration.

The web-sig or python-dev should pronounce what to do with this.

IMHO, the best is to have one module, with the best of both worlds.

What to do with the methods that will be lost because of keeping a
slightly different one with the same functionality? We could keep them
with a deprecation warning, or simply let them disappear (+0 for the
former, even considering we're in 3k).

Regards,

--
.    Facundo