[stdlib-sig] tk package added to PEP 3108

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Feb 24 20:42:52 CET 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Fred Drake <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2008, at 4:11 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>  > That all sounds reasonable (and the reason I think it is a good idea),
>  > but convincing python-dev in general might be tough. Especially since
>  > that would cause IDLE to not be part of the stdlib.
>

>  I've no hope of convincing python-dev myself; the response to my
>  suggestion about moving email out was... disappointing.  I just don't
>  have the time needed to champion any large changes these days, and a
>  "Lean Python" is a hard sell.

It is definitely a hard sell. There is a reason this is the third time
I am trying to reorganize everything. =) I think the "batteries
included" philosophy is too heavily ingrained in the community to ever
let us take large strides towards being more like Perl. Getting rid of
anything is going to require that it be obsolete or so externally tied
to something that it is just more practical to move it out. Otherwise
the chances of taking something out (e.g., email) is going to be damn
near impossible.

-Brett