[stdlib-sig] gestalt, too?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue May 13 13:25:07 CEST 2008

On 13 May, 2008, at 13:03, Leonardo Santagada wrote:

> On 13/05/2008, at 07:30, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Either way, I'm -1 on removing the gestalt API, since it's needed
>> by platform.py and there doesn't appear to be an alternative for
>> getting
>> at certain config information on Mac OS (but don't really care
>> whether
>> it's implemented as C module or using ctypes ;-).
>

> What happened to the idea of making it a ctypes module?

AFAIK there is are no such plans.

> I'm very much in favor to all non performance critical parts of
> python be in a more portable and easier to maintain code.

I'm -1 on rewriting it as a ctypes module. The existing C
implementation works just fine, rewriting it in Python is just more
work without clear advantages.

If you want to play with ctypes on OSX: look into replacing the
Carbon.File usage in the modules plistlib and binhex by ctypes
wrappers (both to remove the dependency on the now-deprecated Carbon
bindings).

Ronald