[stdlib-sig] gestalt, too?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue May 13 21:08:37 CEST 2008

On 2008-05-13 20:45, Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 3:09 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

>> dropping gestalt as it is a trivial module that's used by bits of the
>> standard library.
>>> Thanks, I didn't realize that *all* of Lib/plat-mac was targeted
>>> for removal.
>>>
>>> I think that those modules which make sense on Mac OS X should
>>> be moved to Lib/plat-darwin/, ie. gestalt.
>>>
>>  Why? Technically speaking "darwin" is yet another platform: the open-source
>> unixy bits of OSX. I'd prefer to keep plat-mac, but one that's much smaller
>> than the current tree.
>
> At the moment, both directories and all files (including gestalt) have
> been removed, so whomever adds the file back can choose the directory.
> =)

Not really: the Lib/plat-<platform> names are taken from uname,
so they would have to go into a Lib/plat-darwin for Mac OS X.

I'm not sure, but could imaging that Mac OS 9 and below returned
'mac' for uname, which would then have been the reason to have
that directory.

Perhaps Jack could shed some light on this ?!

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 13 2008)