[stdlib-sig] futures - a new package for asynchronous execution

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 01:41:30 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

>> I'd gladly add this API (or some flavor of it) into multiprocessing,
>> as I do see it as a logical extension to the API itself. Just like
>> multiprocessing has pool/etc
>
> I agree that it can make sense as an additional facility to run parallel
> tasks (like the shortcut functions in the subprocess or commands
> modules). It should probably stay minimal then.
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

Looking at the code dist; processing.py is 338 lines, _base.py is 558
and thread.py is 153; it really is a light API on top of
threading/multiprocessing. I think most of the line count are doc
strings. It's very clean/simple at first glance.

Could I also point out that this would be a might make a nice py3k carrot? ;)

jesse