[stdlib-sig] futures - a new package for asynchronous execution

Frank Wierzbicki fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 01:42:14 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd gladly add this API (or some flavor of it) into multiprocessing,
> as I do see it as a logical extension to the API itself. Just like
> multiprocessing has pool/etc
We've spoken before about how the main part of multiprocessing (that
is using multiple processes to emulate threading) doesn't make sense
with Jython (since there is no GIL to work around, and Jython
processes are *much* more expensive vs. CPython) -- but some of these
added APIs probably do make sense on Jython. Do you think they need a
different package name in these cases - or should Jython just
partially implement multiprocessing... or maybe you have another
suggestion?

-Frank