[stdlib-sig] futures - a new package for asynchronous execution

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Sat Nov 7 06:29:43 CET 2009

On Nov 7, 2009, at 11:43 AM, Frank Wierzbicki wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Looking at the code dist; processing.py is 338 lines, _base.py is 558
>> and thread.py is 153; it really is a light API on top of
>> threading/multiprocessing. I think most of the line count are doc
>> strings. It's very clean/simple at first glance.
> Ah this probably answers my question, Jython would just support the
> threading side.

Consolidating the interfaces between threading and multiprocessing was
a secondary design goal.

Right now multiprocessing is ahead of threading in terms of features.
Pool.map() in particular is a pretty powerful idiom that has no
equivalent in threading.

The Executor ABC provides a consistent interface to both
(with .map() :-)).

Cheers,
Brian