[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and hownoisy they are)

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Tue Nov 10 00:09:56 CET 2009

[Brett Cannon]
> This is obviously coming down to difference of opinion. I don't view
> switching warnings off by default as shooting anyone in the foot. I
> put it on the same level as making sure you have unit tests; it's just
> part of your testing and verification process that your users just
> don't need to know about.

Nice summary.  FWIW, I concur with Brett.  No one needs to see
warnings/deprecations except for the developer who controls the code.
Even that developer may only need to see it at one point during the
development process.  Further, the developer controlling the code
just may not care -- the script can be for single use, for a class project,
or some other purpose that doesn't require being notified of what may
change in a later version of Python.

Raymond