[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and how noisy they are)

Yuvgoog Greenle ubershmekel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 01:13:00 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Yuvgoog Greenle <ubershmekel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Sorry Benny but you were convinced by an invalid argument.
>
> Maybe you know Ben personally and maybe it's different in your
> culture, but to me it sounds pretty derogatory to call someone "Benny"
> who signs as "Ben".
>
> (BTW are you using a pseudonym? Yuvgoog sounds like a made-up name.
> While we are talking about how to address people, I just had to ask.)
>
>>No pesky warnings - just plain old traceback and a dead process.
>
> Have you actually ever tried to debug a warning? Typically the easiest
> thing to do is to turn warnings into errors so you can see exactly
> where it comes from...
>
> --
> --Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)

First of all I'd like to apologize to Ben, this may sound like a lame
excuse but I guess Ben Finney somehow turned into Benny because of my
lack of sleep. So again sorry for that, I really didn't mean it that
way.

Yuvgoog is a pseudonym indeed, my real name is Yuval Greenfield. I'd
grown a habit of trying to see where I get spam mail from so I use
names mangled with the service name. You might see me as Yuvpic
Greenasa, Yuvfaceal Greenbookfield, etc. I guess this habit's one I
should get rid of, especially seeing as it really hasn't paid off (I
haven't caught a single spammer yet after probably 6 years of it).

Concerning debugging warnings, I have to say I currently remember my
experience with 2: the deprecation of sets and the deprecation of
string exceptions. On both occasions the warnings helped me figure
things out before my code broke. Specifically with raising string
exceptions, warnings saved me and my colleagues from alot of bad code,
string exceptions were the convention at my office and I only found
out early because I installed a new python that warned me. Finding
this out as an error might not have been too bad either but it would
have probably taken more time until I got a python that doesn't allow
raising strings (2.6!).

--Yuval Greenfield (yuv)