[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and hownoisy they are)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Nov 10 03:00:41 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:41 PM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having some difficulty reconciling the idea of "protecting"
> developers from warnings with "we're all adults here" and
> "errors should never pass silently, unless explicitly silenced".
> Should I be?

Yes. Warnings are effectively errors that are allowed to pass -- in
effect, silently, since users end up silencing them.

The "manly" thing to do (to pick an expression popularized by Linus
Torvalds) would be to have only errors, and test your code with new
Python versions before allowing it to run there.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)