[stdlib-sig] standardizing the deprecation policy (and hownoisy they are)

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Nov 10 00:34:06 CET 2009

In article
<f3cc57c60911091514i43f67896q489adca0585bc460 at mail.gmail.com>,
 geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com>
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Raymond Hettinger
> <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> > Nice summary.  FWIW, I concur with Brett.  No one needs to see
> > warnings/deprecations except for the developer who controls the code.
> > Even that developer may only need to see it at one point during the
> > development process.  Further, the developer controlling the code
> > just may not care -- the script can be for single use, for a class project,
> > or some other purpose that doesn't require being notified of what may
> > change in a later version of Python.

> If they don't care, why does it matter whether they see it or not?
> Seems like an argument for the status quo.

Because, as it stands in the case of third-party packages, the
deprecation warnings target the wrong audience, the end-users.  At best
the status quo behavior is a constant annoyance and, at worst,
encourages end users to learn to ignore them, even in cases where it
might eventually matter in their own code.

 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org