[stdlib-sig] Pyopt - command-line options that are alot easier than optparse

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 15:16:56 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 09:05:28AM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>> *Personally* I would like to see argparse in the standard library as I
>> think it is currently the best Python argument parsing library, but
>> that is just my opinion. As we already have two argument parsing
>> libraries in the standard library (getopt and optparse) the addition
>> of a third for the *same* task is highly unlikely.
>
> Huge +1 for argparse.  It exists, seems rock solid, easy to use (amazing
> for an argument parsing library), supports subcommands easily, is easy to
> port from optparse usage, and just full of awesomeness.

Based on this discussion, I think we need to reopen this bug:
http://bugs.python.org/issue6247

We already seem to have couple of +1s ( while personally I am 0, as I
have never had requirement to use argparse and most often my needs
were served by optparse).

It would be required to convince MvL, to include argparse in stdlib.
But I hate the very idea of three modules doing the same job! (even
if one does something better than the other).

--
Senthil
  I tripped over a hole that was sticking up out of the ground.