[stdlib-sig] should we try to add argparse?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Sep 10 23:33:49 CEST 2009

Le jeudi 10 septembre 2009 à 22:22 +0100, Michael Foord a écrit :
> > +0 on deprecating getopt, -1 on deprecating optparse. Breaking a
> > perfectly functional and useful module is stupid.
> >

> So we're stuck with inferior technology?

We aren't! I'm theoretically ok with putting argparse in the stdlib (I
say theoretically because I didn't bother to look it up). I'm not ok
with deprecating optparse in the process, because it's a a perfectly
good and widely used alternative. Forcing users to rewrite their code
just because we think we can come up with something smarter than what
they use is *not* nice.

On the other hand, getopt's API is so archaic that deprecating it seems
warranted.