[stdlib-sig] should we try to add argparse?

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 23:31:28 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

>> Upfront people need to realize that we might have three argument
>> parsing libraries for a while, but it won't be forever. If we get
>> argparse accepted we would slowly deprecate at least optparse, if not
>> getopt (lat time I tried to ditch getopt for Python 3 some argued that
>> getopt supported stuff optparse didn't),
>
> +0 on deprecating getopt, -1 on deprecating optparse. Breaking a
> perfectly functional and useful module is stupid.

Do remember that if optparse is deprecated, it will still be available
for *years*. Code isn't going to suddenly break overnight. Users will
see this coming far, far ahead of time.

How many more ways do we need to do argument parsing? If argparse is
added, I'd like to see both getopt and optparse begin their
deprecation cycles in the same release. Three separate ways of doing
argument parsing in the stdlib is madness.

Collin Winter