[stdlib-sig] should we try to add argparse?

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Sep 11 00:17:54 CEST 2009

holger krekel wrote:

>>> +0 on deprecating getopt, -1 on deprecating optparse. Breaking a
>>> perfectly functional and useful module is stupid.
>>>
>> Do remember that if optparse is deprecated, it will still be available
>> for *years*. Code isn't going to suddenly break overnight. Users will
>> see this coming far, far ahead of time.
>>

> i'd like to write keep writing tools that work across several
> python versions and python interpreters.  how is removing
> optparse in say 2011 going to help me as a tool writer?

argparse works with current versions of Python, it will just no longer
be an additional dependency on recent versions once we include it.

If you are determined to stick with optparse it becomes an external
dependency if you are using a version of Python that doesn't include it.

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog