[stdlib-sig] should we try to add argparse?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Sep 11 00:18:28 CEST 2009

On Sep 10, 2009, at 6:04 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> The main reason, as I understand, is to make the big picture clearer
> for
> new users because there's only one advertised way to do it. While it
> is
> very nice for a clean sheet approach, it certainly isn't a consolation
> for people who will have to rewrite their recently broken code...

Perhaps this indicates a solution then.  Let's leave getopt and
optparse in the stdlib as long as they aren't totally bitrotted into
non-functionality, or as long as there is someone willing to maintain
them as the language evolves.  But let's effectively deprecate them by
moving their documentation to the backwaters so the average Python
programmer will not find them, but will find argparse instead.  Once
argparse is in the stdlib, all new code should use be using it
exclusively.

Remember there's more new code that hasn't been written yet than old
code needing to be maintained :).

-Barry