[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

Frank Wierzbicki fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:28:47 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> The particular motivation is to make it easier for other implementations to
> reuse the standard library. It was something discussed (with the maintainers
> of some of these implementations) at the Python Language Summit.
Speaking for Jython, it would be very helpful if the stdlib was
considered a separate entity in a more official way than it is now.
Jython already uses the stdlib this way (sort of), we have an
svn:externals entry that just pulls the stdlib down.  Today, we
maintain a largish number of the modules with local patches that
replace some modules as part of our build process.  It would be nicer
if we could do less patching at build time.  BTW - I don't mean that I
expect others to do this work for us, a couple of us have commit
rights to help this along.

-Frank