[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

Frank Wierzbicki fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:47:13 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> No-one argues that the standard library should evolve quickly but there do
> seem to be those arguing that it should *never* evolve.
I'll add my voice against the folks who want the stdlib to never
evolve.  Java's standard library provides a nice cautionary example.

> I agree with Jesse (FWIW) that the presence of obsolete modules is actually
> damaging to Python. Deprecating and removing modules over a four or five
> years (PendingDeprecation -> Deprecation -> removal) is more than slow
> enough for a stable system that is the Python standard library.
>
> I would love to see a PEP about further standard library clean-ups, perhaps
> slating modules for *eventual* removal in Python 3.4 / 3.5 and only when
> they are clearly not useful, replaced or broken and not maintained - and
> preferably where there is a clear alternative.
I too would love to see this -- it would have the added advantage of
lowering the priority for the implementation of deprecated modules
that we haven't gotten around to implementing in Jython yet :)

-Frank