[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Sep 14 20:54:55 CEST 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 11:35 AM, Paul Moore wrote:

> Please remember that some establishments have restrictions that mean
> that tools like easy_install or pip cannot be used. In locked-down
> corporate environments, python-full is potentially all that will be
> available (and maybe very specific "blessed" environment-specific 3rd
> party modules).

Splitting things out for developers is not the same as keeping that
split visible for distributions, either via tarball, binary from us,
or through distros.  In fact, I'd venture to guess that most locked
down establishments are not going to be installing Python from us;
they'll get it through their operating system vendor (well, thank
goodness I don't have to know what locked down Windows users have to
go through ;).

Still, there's no reason why we couldn't ship sumo packages with all
those batteries included again.

-Barry