[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Sep 15 00:37:16 CEST 2009

Michael Foord wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> [snip...]
>>>>

>>> Unless you are attacking a complete strawman, which is unhelpful and
>>> pointless so please refrain, can you point out who is suggesting
>>> replacing working code "just for the fun of it"?
>>>

>> Just have a look at the various arguments for adding argparse to the
>> stdlib with the intention of replacing optparse and getopt.
>>
>> On one hand you have this new API which is not compatible with optparse:
>>
>> http://argparse.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/argparse-vs-optparse.html#upgrading-optparse-code
>>

>> On the other you have a rather short list of features that make
>> argparse different from optparse:
>>
>> http://argparse.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/argparse-vs-optparse.html
>>
>> and the fact that argparse has been in the wild for 4.5 months.
>>

> Here's an email from 2007 asking when it will be in the standard library:
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2007-January/592646.html

I was looking at this page:

http://code.google.com/p/argparse/downloads/list

It turned 1.0 in July and the first release (on Google Code) was on
April 1st this year.

That doesn't say anything about the robustness of the code, but then:
how much traction can you get in those few months and how likely are
API changes to the code in a 1.1 or 2.0 release ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 15 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/