[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

Michael Foord michael at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Sep 15 14:12:52 CEST 2009

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Laura Creighton wrote:
>
>> So what do you think of this proposal?
>>

> Good write-up and very much to the point.
>
> [Executive Summary:
> Code that hardly needs any changes, because it does what it's meant
> to do, is good code, not bad code. And it causes only minimal
> maintenance effort, so it's actually something core developer should
> welcome rather than fight against.]

Right - but part of the specific problem with optparse is that in many
situations it does a very inadequate job (i.e. it "it does what it is
meant to do" but not what many people "need it to do") and is designed
in such a way that *required* functionality can't be added in a
backwards compatible way.

That is not "good code" (by my reckoning).

Michael

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/