[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 00:30:47 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

>> How much of the rest of the standard libs can claim that?
>
> Not much, and this is a problem.  How often have I wished for an official
> maintainer for some module, who I could defer a tracker issue to and say
> "please decide NOW whether this is a valid bug/request".  There are literally
> hundreds of issues that could either be closed immediately as rejected/
> wontfix or fixed with a small effort as soon as somebody makes the decision.

Bingo. Yes. Correct.

> Of course, for modules without a specific maintainer, we're all supposed to
> share the job, but it simply doesn't work out.  I do fix bugs that are obviously
> bugs, but in more involved situations I often simply don't feel "qualified"
> enough to do so.  Often a maintainer wouldn't even need special skills, but
> simply be there to take the blame and make decisions, complete with fixing the
> problems that arise from them later.

Also correct - this and the latter issue is exactly why I am
advocating owners, and ultimately a smaller, cleaner standard library
(but that's a different PEP)

> I realize we can't have a maintainer for every module, but we should be glad
> about every one that does.

Except those owners who are perma-afk. That's bad. Just as bad as
having none at all.

> So, bottom line: We love you, Jesse, and we need more of you!

Yeah, well - I don't know about that ;)

jesse