[stdlib-sig] Breaking out the stdlib

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Sep 16 01:07:47 CEST 2009

> > Perhaps it wasn't clear, but I draw a clear separation between
exclusive
> > owners and maintainers.
>
> Maybe we can agree on "maintainer" than "owner" - I did not mean
> exclusive ownership, and I apologize if I gave that impression.

[...]
> Agreed; but the maintainer should at least have a chance to say
> something, or be +noisy on issues at very least. I completely agree
> code dictatorship is bad, and I've seen it harm open source, and
> business code bases *a lot*.

Ok, so we do agree after all :)

To elaborate a bit, I think the word "owner" is too strong and would
easily give those "owners" the impression that they have full power over
their respective modules. It is important to stress that code inside the
CPython repository (or the stdlib one, once it is split) can be modified
by any core developer with sufficiently good reasons.

It is even more important to stress it when including a new module in
the stdlib (and to refuse external maintainership).

Regards

Antoine.