[stdlib-sig] Evolving the Standard Library

Armin Ronacher armin.ronacher at active-4.com
Wed Sep 16 15:40:04 CEST 2009

Hi,

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> First, I'm not sure what it has to do with the stdlib.
Preamble.

> I don't know if including something like Babel in the stdlib would be a
> good thing. It depends on the size of it, and the required maintenance
> (I suppose there is a continuous flow of patches, as long as new
> languages/cultures get supported?).
I'm not saying babel should go into the stdlib, it's just not a good
idea.  Maybe unicodedata could expose more information but that's where
it ends.

> Making locale being able to delegate to Babel sounds awkward. Just tell
> people to use Babel if they need to (whether it is in the stdlib, or
> not).
Then at least some time and friends should have a flag to *ignore* the
locale if that's somehow possible.

> I would disagree indeed :)
Yes, I already gave up.

> Sure, but `dis` is used mainly by the core developers themselves, for
> testing and development purposes, and for these uses it is fine.
> Besides, it is certainly possible to propose an extension of the API so
> as to direct the output to another file-like object.
But that's something that can be changed as a paper-cut project, it's
not hard.  Just nobody really has the urge and time to do it.

> This "call to arms" can be a good idea. But we have to be able to
> channel it and appropriately review / validate the submitted changes.
Of course.  But code review should happen in general, not just for
external contributions.

> It depends what you mean by "refactor". It doesn't sound very precise :)
> I think it's better to discuss proposed changes case by case rather than
> trying to reach a consensus on such vague terms.
That would have to be decided on a papercut-by-papercut base.  And
someone would have to select this modules first, which is why I
mentioned the poll.

Regards,
Armin