[stdlib-sig] A game in the standard library

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Aug 16 20:34:38 CEST 2012

Le jeudi 16 août 2012 à 20:31 +0200, Christian Heimes a écrit :
> Am 16.08.2012 17:43, schrieb Brett Cannon:
> > So this is the kind of thing that would lead to arguments about "what
> > game?" The general concept works for me, though if something can be
> > agreed upon.
>
> Isn't it obvious to you? We are talking about Python! There is just one
> mini game that fits:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_%28video_game%29
>
> Yuval has mentioned Nibbles in his initial posting. Nibbles was a Snake
> clone in QBasic that was shipped with MS DOS.

The main issue IMHO is that snake was a well-known gaming reference in
the 80s/early 90s, but it's not nowadays. Perhaps a "demonstration game
in the stdlib" should mimick one of the popular games of today (a simple
one obviously, not World of Warcraft :-)).

Regards

Antoine.

--
Software development and contracting: http://pro.pitrou.net