[Texas] [python-advocacy] [dfwPython] brainstorming new ways to teach Python 101

Brad Allen bradallen137 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 06:25:16 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Michael Tobis <mtobis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm game, I suppose, but where are the students coming from that make
> this level of effort justified?
> Is there any indication that more than a handful of people will show
> up to learn?

Thanks for that opening for me to crow about our attendance and
outreach efforts. :-)  Also, it points out that we need a section on
the registration page for attendees to indicate their interest in
tutorials. I've added a "Learners" registration section to
<http://pytexas.org/TeachInRegistration2010>. Right now, that page is
pretty bare, so let's fill it up!

We have reason to expect over 70 attendees, and possibly over 100. The
registration page has no indication of which are beginners coming to
learn Python, but it provides a hint about baseline attendance (58
confirmed and 28 maybes); see <http://pytexas.org/SignUp2010>.  The
survey indicated a 2:1 ratio of experienced (intermediate or advanced)
to beginners (zero or beginning Python experience).

However, the current registration page and survey won't be able to
capture the last minute effect of our faculty/student outreach
efforts. We have responses from two professors at Baylor who indicated
they will promote the event to their students, who are arriving the
Monday before PyTexas. In addition, professors at several area
universities have been notified, and they may respond at the last
minute.  Flyers are being distributed at local universities, and we're
planning to send out a PyTexas promotional announcement soon to be
widely forwarded, tweeted, etc.

Also, let's not forget that the TeachIn will also hold some appeal
intermediate Python developers. The tutorials don't have to be only
for beginners. Lots of intermediate Python developers would appreciate
help with things like generators, itertools, decorators, descriptors,
etc. If you're willing to register to teach advanced tutorials, that
would surely garner some interest!