[Texas] PyTexas 2012 leadership opportunity

Brad Allen bradallen137 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 03:16:43 CEST 2012

After speaking to some of the potential volunteers, it seems that
nobody has time to take on responsibility for organizing PyTexas 2012,
at least not in a leadership role.

There are still plenty of people likely to volunteer for less time
consuming responsibilities in order to have the conference. Some of us
would probably be disappointed if it didn't happen this year...

Maybe we should think about ways reduce the scope and effort. I've
personally enjoyed several "unconference" style events such as BarCamp
and PyCon open space sessions. The community usually pulls together a
lot of really interesting presentations and discussions at the last
minute.

We could also reduce effort by not taking sponsorship. Last year
handling sponsorship was fairly labor intensive. The result of that
activity was that we could afford a really cool t-shirt & bag, as well
as video recording and catering.

We could also skip the prizes. That would remove the need for registration.

What does that leave? Everyone shows up and some people post their
presentations on a schedule board.  Some of them plug in projectors
and start hand-waving. Others get jiggy with the whiteboard explaining
ingenius/harebrained schemes. A few open source sprints form up. Most
importantly, volunteers hang out in the help area for beginners, and
beginners actually show up and ask for help.

That sounds like a pretty good conference to me. What do you think?