[Tkinter-discuss] Re: Tools for summarizing a module?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Apr 15 12:16:34 EDT 2004

Kenneth McDonald wrote:

> Before I start any documentation effort on Tkinter, I'd like to get
> a good idea of what's in there right now. Is there a good tool
> that will go through a module, and print out, in summary form,
> its functions, classes, methods, etc., with docstrings if present?

"pythondoc -f -x" generates an XML description of any Python module:

    http://effbot.org/zone/pythondoc.htm

if you know how to manipulate XML files, turning that XML into a stub
module should be pretty easy.  for bonus points, make your stub generator
into a pythondoc output formatter:

    http://effbot.org/zone/pythondoc-plugins.htm

</F>