[Tkinter-discuss] Tkinter aesthetic

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Wed Mar 17 12:06:42 EST 2004

> From tkinter-discuss-bounces at python.org Wed Mar 17 11:53:10 2004
> 		.
> The other day in #python at irc.freenode.net, an user told me that Tkinter
> under Linux is *very* ugly (he migrated to GTK+ because of this).

> Is there a plan to beautify it?
> 		.
> 		.
> 		.
Yes, no, and yes.

This mailing list is where Tkinter stuff is happening (well, it's
*really* happening on Fredrik's desktop, but let's consider that
as an extension of the mailing list, for the moment), so, until
we plan it, no, there's effectively no plan.

ON THE OTHER HAND, this is a big issue for the Tcl/Tk folks, and
they've already made enormous progress <URL: http://
tcl.projectforum.com/tk/Home > (incidentally, I'm unhappy with
that page; by this weekend, I'll redo it to make it easier to
read).  One conclusion:  even if Tkinter folk do nothing except
track upcoming Tk releases, visuals under Linux will improve a
bunch over the next year.