[Tkinter-discuss] Administrative items

Stewart Midwinter stewart at midtoad.homelinux.org
Fri Mar 19 01:03:43 EST 2004

Quoting "Kurt B. Kaiser" <kbk at shore.net>:

> The problem I had initially was figuring out where to find everything,
> and the wiki should help with that.
> Another use would be to post good examples of Tkinter code.  Possibly also
> a few examples which are written in both Tkinter and Tcl so folks can see
> how they compare.

Yes, I think this is going in the right direction. We need good examples, to aid
learning.

My own process of learning may be typical of others': first I read some
explanations, then I look at some code.  Then I try to get that code to run
verbatim (and often it doesn't! - due to some typo, or omitted line, and that is
a roadblock to the beginner).  If I get through that, I then start thinking
about a problem I want to solve, and look for code that solves that same
problem. If I can't find that, I look for code that solves some similar problem,
and try to adapt it (often unsuccessfully; my hard drive is full of failed
attempts at adapting others' code to my needs).  Actually writing my own code
doesn't occur until a long way down the path of learning.

What would have helped me, and would still help me, is a collection of code
samples that are trying to solve some problem - and the problem itself is
clearly stated.   Descriptions of how widgets work in and of themselves isn't as
useful as explanations and examples of how they work together with the
underlying app to achieve desired results.

There are too many books and guides out there that show, for example, a button
with a callback that does nothing but 'print "got the callback"' along with a
hand-waving statement that "of course, you would put your own methods here".
There's precious little out there in easily accessible form that shows how to
"put your own methods here".  For example, it's nice to see how you can have an
image that updates regularly, but it's more useful to show how to fetch data
from a server and graph it in real-time.

Anyway, that's my perception on a niche that could be usefully filled.

cheers
Stewart