[Tkinter-discuss] Re: Inserting a unicode zero-width nonbreaking space into a Text widget, from Tkinter, on a Mac

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Wed Nov 3 22:17:45 CET 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 05:47:15AM +0000, Justin Ezequiel wrote:
> Can you explain more about this or can you point me to where I can read more
> about this?

Well, there's the source:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/tktoolkit/tk/generic/tkFont.c
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/tktoolkit/tk/unix/tkUnixFont.c
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/tktoolkit/tk/unix/tkUnixRFont.c
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/tktoolkit/tk/win/tkWinFont.c
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/tktoolkit/tk/macosx/tkMacOSXFont.c

The "list of fonts to try" I mentioned is in the generic tkFont.c.

I'm the most familiar with tkUnixFont, and I don't know how similar the
others are.

For each character, Tk searches for an X font from the same "family"
that has that character.  Since X fonts can be in a variety of
encodings, this gets even more exciting.  There are rules about what
fonts and encodings are preferred, but before giving up on finding a
particular character, Tk will try almost any font on the system.

Jeff