[Tkinter-discuss] TCL-Tkinter-Python Interface - "Debug Assertion Failed!"

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Thu Sep 30 16:04:14 CEST 2004

This is not necessarily a Tk bug.  This message is a low-level message
from the Windows C runtime.

You can find nearly 400 references to this message by searching google
    http://www.google.com/search?q=_CrtIsValidHeapPointer+dbgheap.c
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=_CrtIsValidHeapPointer+dbgheap.c
Most of the messages are unrelated to Python or Tk.  Some of the messages
imply it's a DLL or MSVC++ version mismatch.  Others imply it's an
application or library bug (such as a double free or use-after-free bug).
It's possible that this bug is in your "hardware_name.dll".

The bug probably shows up at shutdown because at this time lots of memory
is freed, and if the memory is a double-free type error this is a very
likely time for it to appear.

If you can recreate this problem without using an extra dll, or with a
simple DLL that is "clearly correct", we'd be interested in hearing
more.  If not, there's little we can do, because it strongly implies
that the bug is in "hardware_name.dll".

Jeff