[Tkinter-discuss] Updating of a Window

jepler@unpythonic.net jepler at unpythonic.net
Sun Aug 28 19:07:40 CEST 2005

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 09:29:17AM -0700, Sajjad Hussain wrote:
> On another topic, I read that non-rectangular windows
> such as the one used by Windows Media player can be
> created in Visual Studio using Windows GDI. (I have a
> link to a tutorial on how to do this if anyone is
> interested). I was wondering if we can do the same
> using Tkinter. I know Python has wrappers for some GDI
> methods. Also, if someone is interested in just
> displaying the GUI with no titlebar (no min, max,
> quit), they can use wm_overridedirect method. However,
> this method prevents the user in minimizing,
> maximizing or quitting (solution: provide your own
> quit method). You cannot move the window either. By
> the way, can we implement our own tk_grab methods to
> move windows.

An experimental version of the shape extension says it works on Windows.  If
this is true, it should be possible to use it from Tkinter.  However, I have no
idea what the build process is for Tk extensions on Windows.  I have used the
shape extension (0.3) on Linux, though only from tcl/tk programs, never from
Tkinter ones.

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/tcl/shapeidx.html

Jeff