[Tkinter-discuss] Tix and Pmw comparison

Michael Lange klappnase at freenet.de
Wed Dec 28 01:00:53 CET 2005

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 04:36:59 -0800 (PST)
Mohammad Tayseer <m_tayseer82 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear friends
> is there a comparison between Tix and Pmw? i couldn't find a comparison between these libraries. is there a comparison between them and bwidgets too?
>
> thanks in advance

Hi Mohammad,

a brief comparison from my own experience:

Tix:
pros:
 - very handy interface
 - has some nice widgets that Pmw misses, like progress bar and tree widget
 - looks nicer than Pmw (if that matters)
 - may perform better than Pmw (if that matters)
cons:
 - no Python documentation, only unix man pages
 - some linux distributions used to ship broken Tix versions, so if your programs are supposed to run on any platform
   stability might be an issue

Pmw:
 - the interface looked a little alien to me at a first glance, however:
 - very flexible, you can easily set up your own megawidgets
 - excellent documentation
 - excellent backwards compatibility and compatibility with any versions of Python and Tk
 - unbeatable stability

pybwidget:
 - as far as I know it's very stable on the tcl side, however the python module is not much tested, so it might contain bugs
 - no python docs, only unix man pages

So my (very personal) conclusion:

If you need to focus on reliability (and want good docs) stick with Pmw, if you need some widget that is missing from Pmw,
try to pick it from bwidget.
If look and feel (and maybe performance) is an issue (or of course if the others don't have the widget you need) try Tix.
If you want to pick the best widgets you can get, it should be no problem to use all three at a time, and use the
widget from the library that you like the most ( for example the Pmw.EntryField is hard to beat, but you may also want
to use the Tix.DirTree and the bwidget.ListBox).

I hope this helps