[Tkinter-discuss] Problem with 'cascade' and state=disabled (maybe)

Henry S. Thompson ht at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Feb 4 10:16:47 CET 2005

Stewart Midwinter <stewart.midwinter at gmail.com> writes:

> Henry, I did some work on enabling and disabling menus.  I even posted
> some stuff on this to the list a while back, so you can search for it.

I indeed saw your posts, thanks.

> I was able to enable or disable main menu items, but never cascaded
> items individually.  Are you able to address them individually?

This code has been shipping for years (in XED [1]), and I've used
deeply nested cascades and enabling/disabling of individual items
without trouble up until recently.  I can't be sure, but I _think_ the
problem only arose with Python2.3.

A good starting point would simply be to find out where the cmdName
object is getting created -- I can't immediately determine even
whether it's a Tcl/Tk object or a Python/(_)Tkinter object. . .

ht

[1] http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/xed.html
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht at inf.ed.ac.uk