[Tkinter-discuss] Re: Tk resource file for layout manager

Martin Franklin mfranklin1 at gatwick.westerngeco.slb.com
Wed Feb 16 13:23:09 CET 2005

Gabriel B. wrote:
> i'm using almost every widget property from my pyTk programs in the
> form of resources, like:
>  self.tk.option_add ( "*InputClass*background", "White" )
>
> In the widget creation i have only the Class and the Command
> attribute, but i'm having to add some tk options to the geometry
> method, in the case, pack. Is there any way to overcome this?
>
> For example, every single Frame i pack i use, at least:
>  self.pack(fill='both', expand=1)
> I'd love to have something like:
>  self.tk.option_add ( "*Frame*fill", 'both' )
>  self.tk.option_add ( "*Frame*expand", 'yes' )
>
> Is there anything like it?
>
> Thanks,

I don't think you can use the option 'database' for geometry
(packing or  otherwise) options.  You could try using sub-classing:

class BothFrame(Frame):
     def __init__(self, parent, *args, **kw):
         Frame.__init__(self, parent, *args, **kw)

     def pack(self, fill="both", **kw):
         Frame.pack(self, fill=fill, **kw)

Cheers,
Martin.