[Tkinter-discuss] First Tkinter program

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins at utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 16 15:45:29 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 01:35:38PM -0600, Stewart Midwinter wrote:
>William, you sound like a candidate for one of the many introductions
>to Tkinter that are available.  You found this list, so that's a
>start.   Now you could try visiting the Tkinter wiki and take a look
>at some of the resources available there.   It's at
>http://tkinter.unpy.net/wiki/

I have been to the wiki, but like all wikis, it is incomplete, the
widgets I need more explanation of are not covered (listbox for example)
and the recipes are overspecialized.  The links to other resources are
the same as those on python.org, which I have exhausted before
contacting this list.

>Unless what you are asking is for someone to write some widgets for
>you,

No, what I need is some explanatory help on what the structures inherent
in Tkinter code *mean*.

>there is no alternative to investing some time to learn the
>basics of Tkinter. Otherwise you will flail around endlessly and in
>the end spend more time than if you had devoted a minimal amount of
>time to educating yourself.

Thank you for flip assessment of the time I've spent, but you have no
idea what I've done before contacting the list (which is partly my fault
for not explaining my work to date).  I would think that on a list with
as little volume as this one you might be more polite.

Now, perhaps someone else could contribute - here's what I need:

Is there a reason that all the example programs I've seen start by
defining a class for the actions, which has an __init__ function that
refers to "self" all over the place, then creates an instance of a Tk()
object, and then calls the class for the actions on (with?) the new
Tk()instance?

None of the examples seem to code in a straight line, and I'm having
trouble following the progression of the "simple" examples.  Can Tkinter
programs been developed in a flat structure, without the class within
class stuff that's hindering my understanding?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William